Once we have converted your book to eBook formats we will email you the files to review. This provides you with an opportunity to see the book as an eBook and to check for any final changes that may be needed.
If you do not have access to one of these devices you can still view the files on your computer although you will probably need to download and install additional (free) software.
Viewing a Mobi file on a computer using Kindle Previewer
Kindle Previewer is a free application you install on your computer that allows you to open a Mobi file and emulates how an eBook will appear on different Kindle devices. It can be used for viewing both standard and fixed-layout Mobi/KF8 files.
To use Kindle Previewer you must download and install it. There are quite a few steps involved and these are detailed below. The instructions are based on a Windows 7 PC but the steps should be similar for most systems.
- Kindle Previewer is not the same as the Kindle App for PC or Mac.
- Kindle Previewer is not suitable for viewing ePUB files.
Part 1: Download and install Kindle Previewer.
2. Tick the ‘I agree’ box and choose whether you need the Windows or Mac version. Please note that the download file is quite large (180 MB) and may take a few minutes to download on slow Internet connections.
3. Once the file has downloaded you need to click or double-click it to launch the installer.
4. If you get a security warning click ‘Run’ or whatever the approval message says.
5. Select your language and agree to the User License. Then choose your installation folder of just click ‘Install’. Then the program will install – this may take a minute or so.
6. When a ‘Completed’ message displays click the ‘Close’ button.
7. To check that the installation is complete you need to open the program. Click on the Windows or ‘Start’ button (or similar) in the bottom left corner of your screen, and if ‘Kindle Previewer’ is not displayed in the list of programs, start to type ‘previewer’ in the search box. This should result in Kindle Previewer being displayed under the Programs heading.
8. Click the entry for Kindle Previewer and after a few moments the program will launch. It will look something like this:
9. Once the program has opened you have successfully completed the installation – well done! You can use the ‘File’ > ‘Open Book’ menu commands to locate and open any Mobi files you have saved on your computer.
10. To open the program in the future all you have to do is repeat step 7 above.
For more details: If you are not familiar with installing applications there are more details on the Kindle Previewer User Guide PDF which can be downloaded here: http://kindlepreviewer.s3.amazonaws.com/UserGuide.pdf
Part 2: Save your Mobi file to your computer.
1. Download the Mobi file to your computer. The file will have a .mobi extension after the file name and would have been sent to you as an email attachment, or if the file was too large for email, you would have been sent a Dropbox link to download the file from. You will need to download the Mobi file from the email attachment or Dropbox link to your computer. Make sure you know where the Mobi file downloads to on your computer (your Desktop or Documents folder may be a good place).
Part 3: Open the Mobi file using Kindle Previewer
1. If Kindle Previewer is not already open, follow step 7 above to start the program.
2. Within Kindle Previewer use the ‘File’ > ‘Open Book’ menu commands to locate and open the Mobi file you have saved on your computer.
3. Once you have selected your Mobi file and clicked ‘Open’ the file will open and you can look through it using the arrow buttons in the menu bar. You can change the Kindle device you’re previewing the file for by selecting a different device below the arrow icons or from the Devices menu.
4. Make sure that under the Settings heading that Set Default Device Mode is set to one of the Kindle Fires, Kindle Paperwhite or Kindle DX. You don’t want to select either the iPad or the iPhone options as they do not open a file for you preview on your computer.
5. If you click the last icon in the menu bar, you’ll be taken to NCX view. Double-clicking on a section or chapter title in this list will take you to that part of the book.
A user guide, which contains detailed instructions for downloading and using Kindle Previewer, is available from Amazon.