If you are providing your own eBook cover image file, please follow these guidelines:
- RGB, not CMYK
- JPG, PNG, TIF or PDF file formats
- Recommended size is 2500 pixels on the longest side and 1600 pixels on the shortest side (minimum of 1200 pixels)
- Generally a width:height ratio of 1:1.6 is suitable
- A file size of under 1MB is recommended if you are distributing via Amazon, as they include the cover file size when calculating download fees
- If you are supplying an ePUB to us for distribution to Apple, any images (including the cover) contained within the ePUB must be less than 3 million pixels. To calculate the pixel size multiply the height in pixels by the width in pixels.
- We do not usually include a back cover
- Do not include a bar code or price information
- Some retailers will reject a book if the title and author name on the cover do not match those provided as metadata
The importance of good design is much discussed, and although beauty is in the eye of the beholder, it is wise to avoid the possibility of appearing on these lists:
Far better to invest time, thought and budget if necessary, to creating the best possible advertisement for your work.
Shelfbuzz is a very popular promotional website and newsletter, that features eBooks (those who are free for a promotional period usually) simply due to the quality of their covers. This is always a good site to check out for a gallery of eBooks from different genres, with eye-catching covers.