Transferring files to your Kindle using a USB cable
Instructions adapted from Amazon Help pages.
- Download the Mobi file to your computer. This will have a .mobi extension after the file name and would have been sent to you as an attachment, or if the file was too large for email, you would have been sent a Dropbox link to download the file from. Make sure you know where the Mobi file downloads to on your computer (your Desktop or Documents folder may be a good place).
- Connect your Kindle to your computer using its USB cable. The Kindle should appear in “Computer” or “My Computer” for Windows users and on the desktop for Mac users.
- Open the Kindle drive. You will see several folders. You want to locate the folder called Documents.
- Now find the Mobi file you downloaded to your computer and copy it to the Kindle Documents folder. You can do that by clicking the file and dragging it to that folder.
- Safely eject your Kindle from your computer.
- You should now see the Mobi file on your Home screen or in the Documents section of your Kindle.
Back to Part One: Intro »