Transferring files to your Kindle using Email
Instructions adapted from Amazon Help pages.
- Download the Mobi file to your computer. This will have a .mobi extension after the file name and would have been sent to you as an attachment, or if the file was too large for email, you would have been sent a Dropbox link to download the file from. Make sure you know where the Mobi file downloads to on your computer (your Desktop or Documents folder may be a good place).
- Go to Amazon’s website and log in to your account.
- Click on Your Account and then scroll down to the Digital Content section and select Manage Your Kindle or Manage your Content and Devices (see right).
- Select Personal Document Settings. You should see a heading Send to Kindle email settings. There should be an email address there, XXXXX@Kindle.com.
- Go to Approved Personal Document E-mail List section which is further down the page Manage your Content and Devices. Add your email address to this list, so that the Kindle device will accept the file.
- In your mail program, start a new email to the @Kindle.com email address you just found.
- Attach the Mobi file and then send your email.
- Wait approximately five minutes and then open your Kindle and sync. Your book should appear in your Books or Documents sections.
Back to Part One: Intro »